Wall of Honour
The Wall of Honour celebrates individuals for outstanding contributions to the Town of New Tecumseth. Nominees must be a resident of the Town of New Tecumseth. Nominees may be living or deceased. Inductees are announced at the Canada Day Celebrations each year.
Procedures for Nominating Individuals to the Wall of Honour:
- Nominations are to be made in writing utilizing the approved nomination form.
- Nominations are to be addressed to the Office of the Clerk/Director of Administration Services.
- Nominations are to include:
- a biography with regard to the Nominee;
- the Nominee’s contribution(s) to the Town of New Tecumseth to make the community a better place in which to live;
- the positive impact the Nominee has had on the lives of the citizens of New Tecumseth;
- a professional quality, colour or black and white, 8”x10” photograph of the Nominee.
- All nominations, whether from an individual or an organization, must include the name and address of the person(s) submitting the nomination. No anonymous nominations will be accepted.
- Council may make nominations if they should choose to do so.
- Nominees can be included on the Wall of Honour posthumously. In such instances, the family of the Nominee must (where possible) consent to the nomination.
- The Clerk/Director of Administration Services will be responsible for forwarding the nominations received to Council for their consideration.
Criteria on Which Nominees Will be Evaluated:
Nominees must be:
- a resident of the Town of New Tecumseth;
- deemed to be of great importance to the community; or
- have significantly contributed to the Town through their voluntary service; or
- have had a positive impact on the lives of the citizens of New Tecumseth making the community a better place in which to live.
Nominations Approved by Council:
The Nominee will be notified by the Clerk/Director of Administration Services by letter advising them that they have been selected for the Wall of Honour and that they will be contacted further with regard to the Canada Day Celebrations.
The person(s) who submitted the nomination will also be notified.
Timeline for Submitting Nominations:
Nominations will be received until 4:30 p.m. on the last Friday in March each year and should be addressed to:
Town of New Tecumseth Wall of Honour
c/o Clerk/Director of Administration Services
10 Wellington Street East,
Alliston, ON L9R 1A1
(705) 435-3900 or (905) 729-0057
Wall of Honour – 2017 Inductee
Joe McCarroll served in Europe in Word War II with the 6th Infantry Brigade. After the war, he rejoined his father’s meat business and continued with the help of his family until retiring in 1984. He was the first postwar president of the Legion Branch 171 Alliston and received the Legion Meritorious Services Medal with Palm Leaf for community services. Joe served on multiple building committees including for the Stevenson Memorial Hospital and for St. Pauls. Joe always had a smile and a joke for everyone.
Wall of Honour – 2016 Inductees
Jim Milligan is one of the first recipients of the Town of New Tecumseth’s Wall of Honour. Jim Milligan’s hard work and dedication to his family’s 5th generation farm and his successful fuel business, benefited not only his own farm operations, but those throughout the community.
Thanks to Jim’s services and agricultural expertise, he made it his priority to help South Simcoe farmers have successful growing seasons.
Jim’s commitment to the community and to his family’s heritage was remarkable. He was a key cog in the wheel of a farm operation.
Shirley Gibson is one of the first recipients of the Town of New Tecumseth’s Wall of Honour. Shirley Gibson was a truly extraordinary woman. There is not much in Alliston and area that Shirley did not affect.
Her involvement in the community set the bar very high for everyone. So great was her impact that The Herald launched the South Simcoe Hall of Fame in her honour.
Shirley’s many accomplishments include being the founder of the South Simcoe Museum Board, President of the Alliston Historical Society and being a volunteer for everything from local sports teams to Meals on Wheels.