St. John’s Church & Cemetery
Located at 5268 the 6th Line of New Tecumseth (between the 15th & 18th sideroads)
St. John’s Anglican Church Cemetery is situated on lot 17, concession 6, of the Town of New Tecumseth, County of Simcoe, and is the property of the Anglican Church Diocese of Toronto.
In 1831 the Rev. R.D. Cartwright, Chaplin to the Bishop of Quebec, visited the area and travelling missionaries recorded good attendance at services held in homes and barns. The congregation of St. John’s was formed in 1833 and the church opened in 1835 to the east of the present site. The first service was held on August 2, 1835 conducted by the Rev. Adam Elliot.
On June 5, 1846 a parcel of land, including that on which the Church had been constructed, was granted to the Church Society of the Diocese of Toronto and by then a cemetery had already been started.
On April 10, 1854 by means of an indenture to Featherstone Lake Osler, Incumbent, and Richard Davis and Robert Crofts, Church Wardens, the property was conveyed to St. John’s Anglican Church, Tecumseth. This property was known as the Glebe Farm and consisted of 200 acres. The first church building was destroyed by fire in 1880 and the present building opened for service on September 25, 1881.
For more information, please visit the St. John’s Church & Cemetery website here.