Deputations to Council
Deputations relating to new matters may address Council at a Council Meeting by placing a request to place their name on the Agenda with the Clerk by 4:30 p.m. on the Wednesday prior to the meeting and provide a short summary of the deputation including the gist of the deputation, but no more than one 8 1/2″ x 11″ standard sheet of paper.
To place a request, you must complete a Deputation Form (PDF). The form must be submitted to the Clerk:
- By email at or
- By fax to 705-435-2873
- In person to the Service Counter at the Town Administrative Centre, 10 Wellington St. E., Alliston
- By regular mail or courier to the Town of New Tecumseth, 10 Wellington St. E., Alliston, ON L9R 1A1
All Council Deputations shall:
- Stay within the prescribed seven minute time limitation (ten minutes is granted to delegations appearing at statutory public meetings in relation to applications under the Planning Act).
- Be made by a single representative on behalf of an organization, including corporations, associations or on behalf of any group.
Deputations shall not:
- Occur for the sole purpose of generating publicity.
- Relate to litigation or potential litigation or to any matter which is currently before any court or administrative tribunal affecting the Town of New Tecumseth.
- Make detrimental comments, or speak ill of, or malign the integrity of staff, the public or Council.
- Any deputation that has addressed Council previously on an item shall require a two-thirds vote of the Members present at the meeting to make a subsequent deputation on the same item if it is within a one (1) year period.
Deputations to Committee of the Whole Meetings:
- Deputations may address Committee on any item listed on the agenda without prior notice to the Clerk.
Receipt of Confirmation: In order to receive confirmation that you have been registered as a deputation, please be sure to include your contact information in order for Clerk’s Department staff to acknowledge receipt.
Personal information as defined by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and in accordance with the provisions of MFIPPA. Personal information collected in relation to materials submitted for an agenda will be used to acknowledge receipt, however, please be aware that your name and address are subject to disclosure by the way of publication of the agenda. If you have questions about this collection use and disclosure of this information, please contact Helen Beamish at 705-435-3900 or 905-729-0057 at extension 1221 or .
For further information regarding this process or with respect to questions relating to Council or Committee meeting agendas, please contact the Clerk’s Department at 705-435-3900 or 905-729-0057 at extension 1306 or . Further information can also be found by referencing Procedure By-law No. 2016-020.